Thursday, February 8, 2007

In Which I Actually Write Something and Post Some Pictures, Too.

Oh, what's this? I have a knitting blog? Weird! Guess I'd better post something every now and again.

It's been all deliciously gloomy and dark every day I've NOT been at work and able to take pictures. But finally, last Saturday was a beautiful, sunny 80 degree day for some picture taking. So here you go.

First:


Yarn: Two hanks of Manos Del Uruguay in Wildflowers Multi (113), from Flying Fingers -- my favorite online yarn store!

Needles: US 11 Aluminum (vintage, they were my Great-Grandma's)

Modifications: Um, well please don't ask my why mine curls in, when everyone else's I've seen online lays flat. (I made it lay flat for the picture) But that's the way I like it so I don't mind. I guess I modified it without knowing. See, that's just how good I am.

Start to Finish: Several weeks, on and off. I never remember to pay attention to when I start something. I finished it just after Christmas.

For: Me! The first thing I've knit that I've kept for myself!

Then:



Pattern :
Squirrel and Oak Mittens

Yarn:
One ball each of Dale of Norway Hauk in orange and natural.

Needles:
US 3 bamboo DPNs

Modifications:
The only intentional modification was changing the year from 2006 to 1981 (my birth year). There are also a few mistakes in there, but overall I'm very happy with them! This was my first venture into knitting in the round, DPNs, colorwork and chart reading. I was nervous but it ended up being SO easy and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to making another pair for my friend Jen and not making the same mistakes this time.

Start to Finish: I think these only took about a week total. They were very fast and very addicting. I have a new-found love for mittens and knitting in the round. And I now understand all those crazy sock knitters!

For:
Me again!


And more:




Pattern:
Eleganty Simple Baby Blanket

Yarn: 11 (eleven!) balls of KnitPicks Shine Sport in Coral

Needles: US 7 bamboo circulars

Modifications: Well, first of all the yarn was the wrong weight which gave me a blanket that's about 6 feet wide and only about 4 feet long. It looks more like a shawl than a baby blanket. But the yarn is deliciously soft and has a nice heaviness to it.

Start to Finish: The pattern isn't kidding about simple, but it sure is time consuming. I just realized that I actually started this blanket after Christmas and I just finished it last night. So it only took a bit over a month. However, I was working on it almost constantly in every spare moment I had. This is the second time I've done this pattern and the first time it took me about 4 months to complete. This was also the first pattern I ever learned to read and I really like it -- if only it didn't take SO long!

For: My friends' new baby they're adopting from Taiwan -- Little Pudding Cake Ruby Mei!


And finally! A sewing project!



Pattern:
Apron pattern from
Amy Butler's In Stitches - I can't tell you how in love I am with this book. It's very easy to read, has excellent projects and beautiful pictures. I'm on a quest to make every single thing in the book. Except maybe those horrible pom pom pillows on the cover.

Fabric: Pretty much the cutest fabric ever from Repotdepot Fabrics -- my online fabric dream. The patterned fabric is called Baumvogel from the Westfalenstoffe (I'm cool! I've been to Westfalen, Germany!) collection. The red trim is just cotton from Jo-Ann's. 1 yard of each.

Modifications: I didn't make the ends of the ties into points -- I just like the way they look squared off better.

Start to Finish: One night to cut all the pieces + one night for all the sewing. Probably about 6-8 hours total. Love it!

For: Me again! Yay!

So folks, there you have it. Now I'm off to finish the Debbie Bliss Garter Stitch blanket, another pair of Squirrel and Oak mittens, a little something for my friend's bun in the oven and I'm sure there will be some surprises ahead as well. :)

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I can't believe you finished the blanket!!!!! It's so yummy and beautiful. And a big accomplishment. =) I can't wait to give it a big hug. And I can't believe Ruby gets it. What a lucky lucky little baby!!!

Your talents are growing every day... =)

LW said...

I love all your stuff! You did such a good job on everything!

suzy said...

I am so impressed. I wish we lived closer so you could teach me how do everything. I am seriously so impressed. I have tried knitting and sewing and I am too stupid I think. Wow. What a lucky husband you have to be married to such a talented lady.

LW said...

I just checked out that Repotdepot Fabrics place... wow! I am so excited! I have been looking for the perfect fabric to make a needle case with and everytime I go to the fabric store it is, UGH! I just found the most lovely fabric and in a couple of clicks! I think I am going to go with Etsuko Flower - claret...

LW said...

So I don't know how you did that scarf. I've ripped it out five times already! Oh and I feel like the biggest blog stalker because I've left 3 out of the 5 comments on here.